Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fortunes of Candlelight

I got a fortune cookie last week. I don't like the cookie part - I imagine they taste an awful lot like a cereal box would if you were so inclined to chew on one. Though I don't like to eat fortune cookies, I will bite them just so I can get the ever-so-helpful words of wisdom that are supposed to be inside. Most of the time I don't get anything other than a laugh when I read them, and that's only because I add "in bed" to the end of them (I am totally, like, mature and stuff). I once got a fortune that read:
"You will get a fortune cookie." Uh, ya think?

My fortune cookie last week read:

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness."

My first thought was, "What the hell does that even mean?" So I pocketed it to ask someone about it later. That night I gave to my little brother and asked him to read it out loud. He did, and when I asked him what it meant he simply said, "You should light 2 big candles, not just one little one."

Hmmm... he has a point.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yayy you updated again. I like your brother's interpretation of your fortune. I often wonder why fortune cookies these days don't really have real "fortunes" in them...just advice. Of course the one about you getting a fortune cookie is an obvious exception. Maybe if the whole counseling thing doesn't work out, you can use your amazing writing skills to write some killer fortunes for fortune cookies. Haha jk.

John said...

Hey, nice blog...now I'm investigating before I post. ;)

I get what it says...
It's better to be happy with the small joys you bring than be dour with the tragedy one finds themself in.

But I do like your brother's retort. Smart!