Friday, March 26, 2010

Here comes the sun.

So, it has come to my attention that my blog title is a lie. Most of you who know me well, know that I am an eternal pessimist. If there is a negative perspective on anything, I'll take it. If there's a gloomy book in a 3 story library, I'll find it. If the glass is half-full, I'll empty it out. Eeyore and I could have been BFF's. I have a blackened, shellacked heart that beats in tune to every emo, rock ballad that comes on the radio.

You get the idea.

I used to think that pessimism defined me, that I couldn't be anything rosier. But then I got a clue. Why the hell do I HAVE to be a certain way? Why can't I change my perspective, fill up my glass, flip on The Kooks and rock some rose colored glasses? I can be optimistic if I want, damn it. And I will!

It turns out that optimism takes practice. Since I wasn't born as a Miss Merry Sunshine, I'll have to work at it. Optimism is a daily practice that will hopefully become a habit, which will then become a permanent part of ME. And I think now is the best time to start... With the beautiful sunshine, spring weather, fresh produce and happy people, I can do it.

Bring on the happy!

"I'm only happy when it rains
I feel good when things are going wrong
I only listen to the sad sad songs
I'm only happy when it rains..."
- Garbage

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a better title would have been 'Bad Moon Rising'. - Luke

Unknown said...

Haha... Perhaps I should leave the titling of my blogs to you. You are immensely better at naming things. Hence all of my wonderful nicknames... :P

John said...

I like the Blog Title... Eternal Pessimists ARE self-destructive optimists... because in the end, we are all optimists. How else can one rationalize getting out of bed otherwise?

Oh, and I forgot how much I love your blog's background. How do I love thee! BOOKS! :D